Tuesday, July 14, 2015

While the Wife is Away

Sometimes Robyn leaves me all by my lonesome.  It's usually to visit family.  This time was one of those times.  She flew to California to babysit our twin toddler nephews for a few days.  (She's an epic babysitter.  There was not a single person with her qualifications within a 700 mile radius.)

Every time Robyn goes out of town, people ask me, "What are you going to do while she's gone?" or afterward, "What did you do while she was gone?"

Well, the simple answer is, "Not much."

Mainly, I do a lot of reading.
I make sure to be as precious as possible when I read.


But there are a few things that are important to note about when my wife is 700 miles away.

1. There is no one to dispute that just because something says "Star Wars" on it, doesn't mean it's amazing.
If it says, "Star Wars" you just buy it.  You can ask questions later.
It turns out that Star Wars cereal looks like Lucky Charms and tastes like Trix.  But it has tiny Tie Fighters, Yodas and lightsabres, so it's clearly awesome.

Don't you just feel The Force?
2.  There is no one that makes me kill spiders.

Here's the thing about spiders.  They eat insects that we like less than spiders.  So I consider them to be friends.  Robyn considers them to be incomprehensible horrors.  I noticed a spider perched on the wall on Thursday.  He was still there Sunday morning, because he knew we were friends.  Unfortunately, he should have hid himself because I had to terminate him in preparation for Robyn's return.

3.  There is no one to impress

I usually make Robyn breakfast on Sunday mornings.  It's a tradition that we enjoy.  She gets to sleep in a little bit, and I get to enjoy her happy face when she wakes up to something yummy.  My cooking generally does not include baking.  And while Robyn does not ask to be impressed, I do like to make sure that what I make is something she'll enjoy.  I thought it would be fun to try to make muffins from scratch.  What better time to try it than when Robyn is away so that if I epicly fail, she never has to know?

I got the batter all made.  (I was impressed that I got this far.)

I think I probably filled the individual cups a little high because the muffins merged together.

The hardest part was getting them out of the tins.  Many muffins died to bring us this breakfast.
The good news was that I didn't care what the muffins looked like.  They still tasted great.
I totally didn't eat the ones that survived the reaping from the tins.  Thus Robyn could come home to these and be totally impressed.
So there you have it.  That's what I do while Robyn is away.  It's safe to say that I have accomplished more in other years.  But I'm happy with how I passed my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment